This past week on FYFA (and in my life):
Nothing too new to say this week. I’m not officially doing NaNo this year, but I’ve made it my goal to finish the first draft of my YA book in November. I did get a request for a full from an agent I met at the conference I went to last week, so that was exciting!
Oh, and my daughter had her final swim meet of the season yesterday. It was their Conference meet, and she placed 4th overall for the 500 meter freestyle, which she was thrilled about!
Here’s what you may have missed on the blog since my last Sunday Post:
- October Wrap-Up Round-Up Link-Up & Make Me Read It Giveaway – link up your October wrap-ups here and enter to win the giveaway!
- The Adventurer’s Guide to Successful Escapes by Wade Albert White: A Dual Review with Danielle Hammelef – Find out what Danielle and I thought of the book!
- October 2018 Wrap-Up and Best of the Bunch – Find out what I was up to in October and what my favorite read of the month was.
- November 2018 Discussion Challenge Link-Up & Giveaway – Link up your November discussions here!
Book Blogger Birthdays and Blogoversaries:
Here are the birthdays and blogoversaries for this week! I hope you’ll go wish these bloggers well on their special days! Make sure you check out the calendar to see what you might have just missed or what’s coming up. (If you want to be added to the calendar, it’s easy! Just fill out the birthday/blogoversary form.)
- November 6th – Tiff @ Mostly YA Lit‘s Birthday
I got Song for a Whale from Delacorte, and I am SUPER excited for this one! I read the synopsis and instantly my face morphed into a heart eyes emoji, and then I got it and just… look at this beauty! And Inkling came from Harper—another one that looks all sorts of adorable!
(By the way, I got my son to help me take these pictures. I had no idea how hard it is to explain to a kid how to hold a book up for a picture. LOL!)
Then I received Between Before & After from Blink and Amber & Dusk from Scholastic! Thanks to all these publishers!!
I got my pre-order incentive for purchasing Emily Suvada’s This Cruel Design. She sent signed bookplates for both books in the series and two bookmarks as well. My mom is loving this series, by the way. She gobbled up the first book in two days and then eagerly ran to get the next book (and then read that there was a novella on Riveted and immediately downloaded it so she could read it first). I’m reading a couple of books for review right now, but as soon as I can I’m jumping into this series!
Great Discussions/Goings On Around the Blogosphere:
- Vicky Who Reads brings up some great points in The Many Ways YA Books & The Community Isolates Teens
- Shannon Hale writes this fantastic article: What are we teaching boys when we discourage them from reading books about girls?
- AJ @ Read All the Things tells us How She’d Die In A Horror Story
- Eline @ Lovely Audio Books is hosting the Book Blogger Review link-up where you can link up your favorite reviews from October.
- Eline also asks Do you care about your favourite authors’ political views?
- Ellie @ The Book Otter shares her Bookish Monster Bender version of Anne of Green Gables.
- #WriteOnCon2019 (held in Feb) just opened its annual fundraiser, with Early-bird admission rates at $1! — and critiques for sale from dozens of industry professionals. There are critiques offered from everything from a query to a full manuscript.
Listed in order of release date. Any new deals that I just added to the list this week will be denoted with a *** so you can easily find them!
Please note: Almost all pre-order giveaways run “while supplies last,” so I can’t guarantee that they’ll be open until the date listed. Pre-0rder early for your best chance to get all the goodies!
- ***Pre-order TOXIC by Lydia Kang to receive a signed bookplate, sticker, and a bookmark. Plus, the first 100 will receive two buttons, one enamel pin, and signed TOXIC artwork. (The giveaway was just recently announced, so there might still be time to get these!) (INT)(ends 11/5)
- ***Pre-order THE COLOR OF LIES by C.J. Lyons to receive bonus items including the inspiration behind the book, a book club discussion guide, and a get to know the author piece. (INT)(ends 11/5)
- Pre-order SKYWARD by Brandon Sanderson to receive an exclusive map print featuring the world of Skyward, signed by Brandon Sanderson! (US only)(ends 11/5)
- Pre-order NINE PERFECT STRANGERS by Liane Moriarty to receive a free short story from Liane Moriarty! (US only)(11/5)
- Pre-order GIRLS OF PAPER AND FIRE by Natasha Ngan to receive an egg necklace, bookmark, and signed bookplate! (US only)(ends 11/5)
- Pre-order NO BORING STORIES! by Julie Falatko to receive a cute pencil and notebook. (ends 11/5)
- Pre-order KEEPER OF THE LOST CITIES: FLASHBACK by Shannon Messenger to receive two limited edition Iggy postcards, a Flashback print, and a signed bookplate! (CAN only)(ends 11/5)
- Pre-order FROZEN REIGN by Kathryn Purdie to receive a limited edition art card with quote, a signed and personalized bookplate, and a set of 3 bookmarks. (INT)(ends 11/5)
- Pre-order MAMMOTH by Jill Baguchinsky to receive a bookmark, an autographed bookplate, two stickers, and a postcard with a thank you from the author. First 75 will also receive a handmade paleontology-themed keychain and a set of buttons.(INT)(ends 11/5)
- Pre-order UMBERTOUCHED by Livia Blackburne to receive a Signed bookplate, a Signed bookmark, a Signed Zivah and Dineas art print and an alternate ending, emailed to you. (Plus, magnetic bookmarks in the US)(INTL)(ends 11/5)
- Pre-order ARCHENEMIES by Marissa Meyer to receive the Renegades Trilogy Character Art poster! (US only)(ends 11/5)
- Pre-order KINGDOM OF THE BLAZING PHOENIX by Julie Daw to receive a signed bookplate, enamel pin, quote sticker and bookmark. (US only)(ends 11/6)
- Pre-order THE ADVENTURE ZONE: MURDER ON THE ROCKPORT LIMITED by Clint and Griffin McElroy to receive a digital version of a print based on the cover (plus you’ll be entered to win one of 1000 actual prints) AND an exclusive recording of the live show from the McElroys NYC Book Launch! (US & CAN)(ends 11/7)
- Pre-order THE RESOLUTIONS by Mia Garcia to receive a tote with a quote from the book, a signed bookmark, and a signed bookplate. (US only)(ends 11/12)
- Pre-order PULP by Robin Talley to receive 2 autographed postcards, 2 bookmarks, 1 signed bookplate (personalized upon request), and 1 bonus As I Descended sticker. You’ll also be entered to win a grand prize. (US only for swag. Contest open INT)(ends 11/12)
- Pre-order THE STORYTELLER by Traci Chee to receive an engraved bookmark and the chance to win a grand prize. (US only)(ends 11/12)
- Pre-order REALM OF RUINS by Hannah West to receive a signed bookplate and a bookmark. You’ll also be entered to win a grand prize. (INT)(ends 12/3)
- Pre-order DARK AGE by Pierce Brown to receive a free holiday card directly from Pierce, featuring never-before-seen character art! (US only)(ends 12/3)
- Pre-order ALL THE WANDERING LIGHT by Heather Fawcett to receive an exclusive world map, a signed bookplate, a bookmark and two stickers. (INTL)(ends 12/3)
- Pre-order QUEEN OF AIR AND DARKNESS by Cassandra Clare to receive a deluxe Shadowhunter fairytale retelling booklet. Featuring 35 pages of exclusive art and a note from Cassandra Clare. (US only)(ends 12/3)
- Pre-order a paperback copy of EVERLESS by Sara Holland to receive a special additional character card for either Ina or Roan.(INT)(ends 12/3)
- Pre-order EVERMORE by Sara Holland to receive 1 of 3 Exclusive Character Cards, a signed bookplate, and access to an exclusive online interview with Sara Holland (filled with spoilers and juicy details!). Plus, you’ll be entered to win more. (INT)(ends 12/30)
- Pre-order FIRESTARTER by Tara Sim (or request for your library to purchase it) to receive an exclusive poster of Danny and Colton by artist TJ Ryan. (INT)(ends 12/31)
- Pre-order THE WINTER OF THE WITCH by Katherine Arden to receive a signed bookplate. (US only)(ends 1/7)
- Pre-order EVEN IF I FALL by Abigail Johnson to receive a bookmark, a signed bookplate, a cloud charm necklace with quote card and a digital copy of the original flash fiction piece that inspired the book. (INTL)(ends 1/7)
- Pre-order OUR YEAR OF MAYBE by Rachel Lynn Solomon to receive a bookmark, signed bookplate, vinyl sticker, and adorable dandelion enamel pin! (INT)(ends 1/14)
- Pre-order SONG OF THE DEAD by Sarah Glenn Marsh to receive a signed bookmark, an 11×17 beautiful map of the world of the Reign of the Fallen series (art by Jessica Khoury), and four new character cards including everyone’s favorite bear, Lysander! (art by Jo Painter) (INTL)(ends 1/21)
- Pre-order THE BIRDS, THE BEES, AND YOU AND ME by Olivia Hinebaugh to receive an enamel pin. (US Only)(ends 1/21)
- Pre-order KING OF SCARS by Leigh Bardugo to receive an enamel pin! (US only)(ends 1/28)
- ***Pre-order CRAB CAKE by Andrea Tsurumi (from Indiebound or B&N) to receive a signed print of sea lion, a signed bookplate, a sticker, and the chance for a signed original drawing of Moray Eel. (ends 2/4)
- Pre-order THE PRIORY OF THE ORANGE TREE by Samantha Shannon to receive an exclusive signed poster. (USA, Canada, UK, Ireland, Australia, and New Zealand)(ends 2/25)
- Pre-order A QUESTION OF HOLMES by a signed, personalized copy, plus an exclusive illustrated print. (INT)(ends 3/5)
- Pre-order DESCENDANT OF THE CRANE by Joan He to receive 3 swag items (they won’t be all paper-made–actual items TBD closer to release date). (INT)(ends 4/1)
More Awesome Giveaways:
- Twitter Giveaways:
- @taylormegon is giving away a preorder of OUR YEAR OF MAYBE. This means you’d also get the preorder goodies!
- @edwardanddamon is giving away one of her most anticipated books for the month of November.
- @LauraMSteven is giving away your choice of one of eight fall YA titles.
- @bigscreenbookss is giving away four 2018/19 ARCs.
- @AstridScholte is giving away a pre-order US hardback (but the giveaway is open internationally) of #FourDeadQueens.
- On my blog, you’ll find giveaways of LULU THE BROADWAY MOUSE by Jenna Gavigan and An Autographed Paperback of Kiss of Deception. Plus this is your last chance to enter the giveaway for the October Discussion Challenge Link-Up & Giveaway.
- Head over to FUONLYKNEW for a chance to win a Clean Teen Publishing Mystery Box
- Head over to Teaching Authors for a chance to win 1 of 2 copies of the newly revised WRITING PICTURE BOOKS by Ann Paul
- Dani @ Perspective of a Writer is celebrating her I Heart Characters meme with a giveaway of a Book Depository Book up to $10
- Head over to Christie’s Cozy Corners for a chance to win STEM Books from National Geographic
- Head over to Here’s to Happy Endings for a chance to win THE DARK DESCENT OF ELIZABETH FRANKENSTEIN, INKLING, AN ASSASSINS GUIDE TO LOVE AND TREASON, THE TRUTH ABOUT MARTIANS and more. (She has a LOT of giveaways over there!)
- Lots of blogs participating in the November Of Books Giveaway Hop
- Tressa @ Wishful Endings is giving away 1 Book from her Fall to Winter TBR on Amazon (INT)
- XPresso Book Tours is hosting their Fall in Love With Books Giveaway, with a $100 Amazon Gift Card up for grabs.
- Shannon @ It Starts at Midnight is celebrating her 5th blogoversary with a giveaway
- Read It Forward does a weekly giveaway. This week you can enter to win She Lies In Wait by Gytha Lodge
- Head over to Bookish for LOTS of giveaways!
Lots of good stuff! Have any giveaways or great discussions happening on your site right now? Feel free to share them in the comments!
Congrats on the request! I hope it works out for you. Haha, it’s awesome that your son was the book model. I wish I had a book model because my arms aren’t long enough for those photos!
I always have such a hard time holding onto the book and taking the pictures! I thought this would be easier, but honestly, I’m not so sure it turned out that way. LOL! I think I’ll have to try to get my daughter to help next time. 🙂
Thank you so much for linking up my teen post! I’m so glad you (and your mom) are loving THIS MORTAL COIL–it’s literally one of my favorite series ever! I still have to read the novella, but I can’t wait!
She flew through those two books like nobody’s business!!
Congrats on the request and your daughter’s achievement. I just found out about your end of the month blog linkup and I had been thinking of starting to do a monthly wrapup, so that’s cool. I am a new follower and look forward to reading your posts.
Yay! I’m glad you’re joining us!
4th in the Conference. That’s awesome! Congratulations to your daughter! Good luck with your YA draft. I know you can do it!
I should probably have said that it’s 4th in JV—a fantastic accomplishment, though!
Thank you for featuring my discussion post and review linky! It’s so great that you got a request for your book 🙂
No problem! I’m always happy to share great things from around the blogosphere!
Congrats on the full request. That’s awesome! Thanks for the info about WriteOnCon – need to check that out.
It was exciting to get a request from an agent I’d talked to in person. It’s still just one small step, of course, but it means I’m doing something right. 🙂
Woo, congratulations on the request! Really hope it works out for you ?
Woo hoo! Congrats on the full request! That’s awesome!! <3
Thanks, Steph! Even though it’s still just one more small step, it feels like a big win. 🙂
Some great discussion link ups there, I’ll be checking them out. Thank you 🙂
Always happy to share!!
Congrats to your daughter for coming in 4th at the swim meet! I can imagine how difficult it would be to explain how you want someone to hold up a book. Looks like you have some great new additions. Have a great week!
Yeah, I think it might have been easier if I’d just done the pics myself. Live and learn. 🙂
Good luck with your writing Nicole … well I know its not luck but I hope the writing juices flow for you in any case!! And hahaha so funny, but it is so hard to explain how to hold a book for pics, but your son did excellent!! And thank you for mentioning my giveaway! It’s small but I’m excited that I can share something. <3
I’m happy to take a little bit of luck to go with my hard work. 🙂
Congratulations to your daughter for her swim meet, that’s so exciting! And too funny about your son! This morning I was trying to explain to my 5 year old how to turn his pants right side out and it was like I was trying to explain how gravity works lol! Ohhhh I can’t wait to see what you think about Amber & Dusk, enjoy!
Yes, this is one of those cases where doing yourself might be easier than explaining it. 🙂
Currently I have giveaways going for the Charley Davidson Reread tour, the Holiday Audiobook Tour, and tomorrow is my next Series on Saturday post. Upcoming Thursday will start a giveaway for print copy of Lipstick Voodoo.
I hope you are having a good reading week and that you are warmer than we are. Anne – Books of My Heart
Sorry, I’m so behind on my comments that I didn’t get these into my lists. I tweeted out a link to Lipstick Voodoo so I’ll remember to add it to next Sunday’s post since it will still be going.