This past week on FYFA (and in my life):
We went to a neighborhood party on Friday night and met a bunch of the neighbors. Sadly, we’ve lived here 14 years, and we only know a handful of families in our neighborhood (less than 10—and that includes people we barely know). Going to this gathering was a bit out of my comfort zone, especially once I figured out that basically everyone else knew each other well, but I’m glad we went.
My daughter Danielle left for an 11-day trip to Costa Rica this morning (with the Spanish dept at her school). I’m super excited for her—and also a little nervous. If you’re the praying type, feel free to send up some prayers for her safety!
Here’s what you may have missed on the blog since my last Sunday Post:
- May 2019 Monthly Wrap-Up Round-Up & Giveaway
- Shred Girls by Molly Hurford: Review
- No Place Like Here by Christina June: Review & Giveaway
- June 2019 Discussion Challenge Link-Up & Giveaway
- May 2019 Wrap-Up & Best of the Bunch
Book Blogger Birthdays and Blogoversaries:
Here are the birthdays and blogoversaries for this week! I hope you’ll go wish these bloggers well on their special days! Make sure you check out the calendar to see what you might have just missed or what’s coming up. (If you want to be added to the calendar, it’s easy! Just fill out the birthday/blogoversary form.)
- June 2nd – (un)Conventional Bookworms‘ Blogoversary
- June 3rd – Pamela @ Reverie Society‘s Birthday
- June 5th – Thoughts Stained With Ink‘s Blogoversary
Who can resist beautiful surprise bookmail like this? Not me! I assumed at first that Sorcery of Thorns was a follow-up to An Enchantment of Ravens (which I’ve yet to read, though it’s gotten rave reviews and it’s definitely on my TBR), but it turns out they’re unrelated standalones. Which means I don’t have to wait to read this one. Yay! Thanks to Margaret K. McElderry Books for sending it!
More books I couldn’t resist:
Shatter the Sky, Something Like Gravity, Friend or Fiction, The Dragon Warrior and I Love You So Mochi.
Great Discussions/Goings On Around the Blogosphere:
- Karen @ For What It’s Worth asks Does reading YA make you a better/more empathetic parent?
Listed in order of release date. Any new deals that I just added to the list this week will be denoted with a *** so you can easily find them!
Please note: Almost all pre-order giveaways run “while supplies last,” so I can’t guarantee that they’ll be open until the date listed. Pre-0rder early for your best chance to get all the goodies!
- ***Pre-order SAVING HADLEY by Amy Sparling to receive a friendship bracelet & a glitter vinyl hibiscus flower decal from NovaBookish. (ends 6/3)
- Pre-order SHADOW & FLAME by Mindee Arnett from Joseph Beth Cincinnati store if you’re in the US or from anywhere if you’re INT to receive a character card set and a signed book (US) or signed bookplate (INT)(ends 6/3)
- Pre-order THE SPIES OF SHILLING LANE by Jennifer Ryan to receive an unpublished chapter of THE CHILBURY LADIES’ CHOIR. You’ll also be entered to win a grand prize giveaway. (ends 6/3)
- Pre-order CITY OF GIRLS by Elizabeth Gilbert to receive an enamel pin! (UK only)(ends 6/3)
- Pre-order THE HAUNTED by Danielle Vega to receive an exclusive pencil pack! (US only)(ends 6/3)
- Pre-order THESE WITCHES DON’T BURN by Isabel Sterling OR request it from your local library to receive a set of exclusive character stickers! (INT)(ends 6/3)
- Pre-order THE REST OF THE STORY by Sarah Dessen to receive a themed beach tote! (US only)(ends 6/3)
- Pre-order MRS. EVERYTHING by Jennifer Weiner to receive an exclusive embroidered patch! (US only)(ends 6/7)
- Pre-order STORM AND FURY by Jennifer Armentrout from Fountain Bookstore to receive a signed book, bookmark and Book Beau bag. (INT)(ends 6/9)
- Pre-order MIDSUMMER’S MAYHEM by Rajani LaRocca OR request it from your local library to receive a signed bookplate, a bookmark, a sticker or sticker sheet while supplies last, and an electronic copy (PDF) of a special MIDSUMMER’S MAYHEM COOKBOOK that contains all the recipes from the book! US purchasers will also be entered to win prizes. (INT)(ends 6/10)
- Pre-order PLANT PARENTING by Leslie F. Halleck to receive a special packet of seeds collected from the author’s garden! US Entrants will also be entered to win a grand prize giveaway. (INT)(ends 6/10)
- Pre-order TEETH IN THE MIST by Dawn Kurtagich to receive one of eight exclusive pre-order gifts. (UK, USA and CANADA only!)(ends 6/10)
- Pre-order STAR WARS: ALPHABET SQUADRON by Alexander Freed to receive an exclusive iron-on patch! (US only)(ends 6/11)
- Pre-order MAGIC FOR LIARS by Sarah Gailey to receive an enamel pin. (US/Can)(ends 6/11)
- Pre-order I WANNA BE WHERE YOU ARE by Kristina Forest to receive a Chloe and Eli 5×7 print, a Chloe enamel pin, and a bookmark. OR request it from your local library to receive the print and bookmark. (US only)(ends 6/11)
- Pre-order THE PAPER & HEARTS SOCIETY by Lucy Powrie to receive an official membership pin. (US/ROI)(ends 6/12)
- Pre-order HARRY POTTER AND THE PRISONER OF AZKABAN (House Edition) by J.K. Rowling via the Bloomsbury website to receive an exclusive house pin badge. (UK/ROI or AU/NZ only)(ends 6/12)
- Pre-order THE BEHOLDER by Anna Bright OR request it at your local library for a chance to win one of three BEHOLDER-themed cross-stitches. (US only)(ends 6/13)
- Pre-order SOMETHING LIKE GRAVITY by Amber Smith to receive a special swag bag (think: bookmarks, stickers, pins, and more!). (ends 6/17)
- Pre-order THE LEMON SISTERS by Jill Shalvis from Mysterious Galaxy bookstore to receive a luggage tag featuring the book’s cover art! (ends 6/17)
- ***Pre-order THE ART OF BREAKING THINGS by Laura Sibson to receive a bookmark, signed bookplate & stamped postcard. The author will also donate to RAINN and you’ll be entered to win a grand prize. (ends 6/17)
- Pre-order THE EVIL QUEEN by Gena Showalter to receive a golden apple necklace! (US/Can only)(ends 6/24)
- Pre-order SWITCHBACK by Danika Stone to receive a signed bookplate, bookmark and postcard. Plus you’ll be entered to win other goodies! (INT)(ends 5/27) PLUS there’s a library only giveaway (scroll through the thread to see the pic with details! (INT)(ends 6/28)
- Pre-order STRONGER THAN A BRONZE DRAGON by Mary Fan OR request it from your library to receive a signed postcard, a magnet, and a red envelope containing a mystery prize. (INT)(ends 6/20)
- Pre-order MOM AND DAD, WE NEED TO TALK by Cameron Huddleston to receive a free conversation starter cheat sheet with 10 tips to remember before talking to your (aging) parents about their finances. (ends 6/24)
- Pre-order EVVIE DRAKE STARTS OVER by Linda Holmes to receive an exclusive signed bookplate! (US only)(ends 6/25)
- Pre-order TEMPER by Layne Fargo to receive a bookmark and signed sticker. You’ll also be entered to win a grand prize. (US only)(7/1)
- Pre-order QUEEN OF RUIN by Tracy Banghart OR request it from your local library to receive a postcard with a hand-lettered quote from the book. (INT) US Purchasers will also receive an enamel pin, a signed bookplate, and a full-color map. (INT)(ends 7/1)
- Pre-order WICKED FOX by Kat Cho OR request it from your local library to receive beautiful character cards created by the amazingly talented Alexis Castellanos. (INT)(ends 7/1)
- Pre-order HEART OF BARKNESS by Spencer Quinn to receive a digital copy of “Upper Story.” (US/Can)(ends 7/1)
- Pre-order CALL IT WHAT YOU WANT by Brigid Kemmerer to receive a signed bookplate, and an email containing exclusive bonus content set in the Letters to the Lost/More Than We Can Tell universe. Plus, 1 Grand Prize Winner will have a character named after them in a future published book, to be decided between you and Brigid! (USA, Canada, UK, Ireland, Australia, and New Zealand)(ends 7/1)
- Pre-order WANDERERS by Chuck Wendig to receive an exclusive pin! (US only)(ends 7/1)
- Pre-order PAST PERFECT LIFE by Elizabeth Eulberg to receive a signed bookplate and bookmark. (US & CAN)(ends 7/8)
- Pre-order THE LAST WORD by Samantha Hastings OR request it at your local library to receive a signed bookplate, a bookmark, a sticker, and a vintage-style handkerchief. (INT)(ends 7/8)
- Pre-order ME, MYSELF, AND HIM by Chris Tebbetts to be entered to win a t-shirt (one will be given away for every 10 pre-orders) and a grand prize. Also, for every pre-order $1 will be donated to Pride Center of Vermont. (US only)(ends 7/8)
- Pre-order STEALING HOME by Becky Wallace OR request it from your local library to receive a bookmark, signed bookplate, postcard, and baseball charm wish bracelet. The first thirty pre-orders get a navy blue wrap bracelet! (US/CAN)(ends 7/9)
- Pre-order SPIN THE DAWN by Elizabeth Lim to receive exclusive art, an official bookmark and a signed bookplate. (INT)(ends 7/29)
- ***Pre-order any of the DIARY OF AN ICE PRINCESS books by Christina Soontornvat or request them from your local library to receive a bookmark (with fun science activity instructions!) and a sticker. You’ll also be entered to win a custom digital black-and-white portrait by the book’s illustrator, Barbara Szepesi Szucs and a pack of six early middle grade and chapter books! (INT)(ends 7/29)
- Pre-order TINY BUT MIGHTY: Kitten Lady’s Guide to Saving the Most Vulnerable Felines by Hannah Shaw to receive an enamel pin featuring the cover kitten. (US only)(ends 8/5)
- Pre-order HOW THE LIGHT GETS IN by Katy Upperman OR request it from your local library to receive a signed bookmark, a vinyl watercolor poppy sticker, and an exclusive bookplate (personalized and signed). If you’re in the US, you’ll also be entered to win a grand prize. (INT)(ends 8/5)
- Pre-order WILDER GIRLS by Rory Power, SPIN THE DAWN by Elizabeth Lim, or HOUSE OF SALT AND SORROWS by Erin A. Craig to receive an Underlined pillowcase. (US only)(ends 8/6)
- Pre-order THE DOWNSTAIRS GIRL by Stacy Lee OR request it from your local library to receive a sturdy door hanger, which also makes an excellent bookmark (US & INT) and a butterfly knot (hand tied by the author), which is long enough to use as a bookmark (US purchases only). (INT)(ends 8/12)
- Pre-order MIDNIGHT BEAUTIES by Megan Shepherd to receive a specialized leather bookmark, a cute sticker, a signed bookplate and an exclusive art print from Melanie Bourgeois. If you pre-order by 6/14, you’ll also get access to an exclusive eNovella about Cricket, “Tricks and Whispers”! (US & CAN)(ends 8/12)
- Pre-order THINGS YOU SAVE IN A FIRE by Katherine Center from Blue Willow Bookshop to receive a signed/personalized copy, a bookmark, and special SWAG. (ends 8/12)
- ***Pre-order THE SPINNER OF DREAMS by K.A. Reynolds OR request it from your local library to receive a bookmark and sticker featuring the cover art (for pre-orders, the bookmark will come signed). The first 100 US pre-orders will receive two postcards, a signed bookmark, sticker, and a black crow feather enamel pin. You’ll also be entered to win a grand prize. (INT)(ends 8/26)
- ***Pre-order CROWN OF CORAL AND PEARL by Mara Rutherford OR request it from your local library to receive two 4”x6” prints of character art. Plus you’ll be entered to win a grand prize. (INT)(ends 8/26)
- Pre-order MOMENTOUS EVENTS IN THE LIFE OF A CACTUS by Dusti Bowling to receive a signed bookplate, bookmark, & bonus story. (ends 9/16)
- Pre-order HARRY POTTER AND THE GOBLET OF FIRE (Illustrated Edition) by J.K. Rowling via the Bloomsbury website to receive an exclusive Goblet of Fire tote bag. (UK/ROI)(ends 10/7) OR (AU/NZ)(ends 9/18)
- Pre-order CALL DOWN THE HAWK by Maggie Stiefvater from specified bookstores to receive a signed limited edition bookplate (I believe it features Maggie’s art?). (INT)(ends 11/4)
More Awesome Giveaways:
- Twitter Giveaways:
- I’m giving away a signed copy of OBSIDIO by Jay Kristoff and Amie Kaufman
- @theelvenqueen is giving away a set of Descendant Of The Crane character cards and survivor badge and she’s also giving away six books!
- @savvy_book is giving away a mystery unreleased arc
- @MaxineGKaplan is hosting a book birthday anniversary giveaway
- On my blog, you can enter the giveaway for the May Wrap-Up Round-Up and the May or June Discussion Challenge and Giveaway. Plus, you can enter to win HOPE AND OTHER PUNCHLINES, NO PLACE LIKE HERE and THE WISE AND THE WICKED.
- This isn’t exactly a giveaway, but you can get SJ Pajonas’s first cozy mystery THE DAYDREAMER DETECTIVE free right now! Lots of us know Steph, and if you haven’t had a chance to read her books yet, this is a great opportunity to jump on board!
- Head over to Waves of Fiction for a chance to win a Paperback copy of The Proposal, an ARC of Fumbled, and an ARC of The Matchmaker’s List.
- Lots of blogs participating in the Life’s A Beach Giveaway Hop!
- Head over to Lisa Loves Literature for a chance to win Switchback
- Head over to Bookcrushin’ for a chance to win a Signed copy of Emergency Contact by Mary H.K. Choi
- Head over to The Unofficial Addiction Book Fan Club for a chance to win BOOKISH BOYFRIENDS: THE BOY NEXT STORY.
- Lots of blogs participating in the June Of Books Giveaway Hop!
- Head over to Lisa Loves Literature for a chance to win Three books from her ARC/Books for Trade shelves
- Head over to Alyssa Carlier’s website for a chance to win Spin The Dawn by Elizabeth Lim
- Read It Forward does a weekly giveaway. This week you can enter to win The Passengers by John Marrs
- Head over to Bookish for LOTS of giveaways!
Lots of good stuff! Have any giveaways or great discussions happening on your site right now? Feel free to share them in the comments!
wow…costa rica…im jealous lol
Me too! They’re doing all sorts of fun things like ziplining and white water rafting and night hikes through the rainforest. It sounds like it’s going to be an amazing trip!!
I’ll definitely be praying for your daughter! Is it a mission trip?
And it’s good to get out of our comfort zones and meet people. I’m glad you went!
It’s not a mission trip–just a trip with the Spanish dept at school as an opportunity for them to use their Spanish skills and see a Spanish-speaking country up close and personal. 🙂 Mostly I’m just super excited for her, but there’s also that tinge of worry when you send your kiddo away to another country. Hard to turn off the mom-worrying gene. 🙂
A neighborhood party would be waaay out of my comfort zone but with some of the neighbors I have…I don’t really want to get to know them. lol
Ha! Yes, your neighbors seem a little “different.” Maybe you should stay away from neighborhood parties. LOL!
I’m really bad at getting to know my neighbors. I lived in our house for over 20 years and was only good friends with one and chatted with about about 3 more. Then we moved and now I have to start over lol
Thank you for featuring my discussion post and I will be sending all the good thoughts your way for your daughters trip. I can see why it would be both exciting and scary.
Karen @ For What It’s Worth
Yeah, we have two families in the neighborhood that we know through our church (though I wouldn’t say we’re super good friends with them—but we know them at least), and then there are some people we’re more like acquaintances with. It’s sad when you’ve lived somewhere for 14 years and that’s all you can really say.
Thanks for the good thoughts—I’m mostly excited for my daughter, but it’s hard not to worry just a little when you send your kid off to a foreign country without you! 🙂
I am a fan of I Love You So Mochi. The author did a wonderful job taking me to Japan, and it was beautiful watching Kimi, her mother, and her grandmother mend their relationships.
I think it was your review that made me grab it. 🙂 I’m about halfway through right now, and I’m really enjoying it! I agree that I’m getting a real sense of Japan through the book.
Yeah, get togethers can be out of my comfort zone too. I tried going to a few during school and it seriously felt like everyone already knew everyone and they were all in their own little circles and I was just staring wide-eyed on the sidelines. It’s scary. Lol.
Nice new reads! Seeing a lot of hype for Sorcery of Thorns. I hope you end up enjoying it too!
Here’s my StS
Have a GREAT day!
Old Follower 🙂
Yeah, it’s always hard when you go somewhere and everyone else seems to know each other. I’m still hard I went, but it was a bit awkward at first.
I hope that the trip to Costa Rica goes well and I will definitely pray for her! Ah, it’s always difficult breaking into new circles but hopefully getting to know your neighbours better goes well 🙂 It’s great that you’re making the effort. AAHHH Sorcery of Thorns! I am so excited for that one so I hope you love it!!
Yeah, it would be really tempting to just not go to these gatherings because everyone else already knows each other well—but then I’ll never get to know the neighbors at all!
I know a few of my neighbors by sight, but not well, I’m afraid. We all pretty much keep to ourselves. I think my mom knows more of my neighbors than I do–and she lives out of town! I hope your daughter has a good time in Costa Rica. What a great opportunity for her! Have a great week!
How funny that your mom knows more of the neighbors than you do! Some people are just better at being social than others.
You have some great books here! Sorcery of Thorns looks gorgeous, and Love You So Mochi has been on my radar. Hope you enjoy!
Will pray for your daughter’s trip! 🙂
I’m reading I Love You So Mochi right now–I’m a bit over halfway through and really enjoying it!! Thanks for the prayers for Danielle. She’s going to have a fantastic time, I’m sure, but it’s hard to turn the mom-worrying off! 🙂
I’m not very social with my neighbors either. It’s just my way. I know a few people around us and that’s about it.
I wouldn’t mind being more social, but it’s hard to get to know people at first. Wish you could just skip to the part where you already know them. 🙂
I don’t know many of my neighbors, either. I should probably make an effort to meet them. I hope Danielle loves Costa Rica! Have a great week.
I like the IDEA of getting to know people, but the reality is much … harder.
I’ll be thinking of Danielle. I hope she has a great time, and being with her school means she should be plenty safe. 🙂
Yes, I’m sure she’ll be perfectly safe. It’s just one of those things that’s hard for a mom–imagining your kid so far away in a foreign country. Yikes! 🙂
I can’t wait to read Sorcery of Thorns myself!
I’ve heard fantastic things about this author!
Costa Rica sound fab. Yes, we have lived in our home 14 years and know the neighbors on either side and the ones directly behind but vaguely know others. We wave at each other..but yep beyond my comfort zone too. Not that I don’t want to..mind you..it’s just awkward.
Yes, I like being friendly with people, but it’s hard to get past the awkwardness necessary to get there. 🙂
I’m glad you enjoyed the party!
I’ve lived in my neighborhood for 8 years and don’t know anyone. People here barely wave at each other and mind their own business. It’s even more sad for my kids, no one lets their kids play outside anymore.
Anyway, Costa Rica??? That’s amazing. What a great life experience! I’m sure she’ll be fine 😉
Yeah, that’s how I felt but then I was pretty surprised that there was this group of people who all seemed to know each other really well! Apparently they didn’t have any trouble getting to know each other. LOL!
I’ve lived in my townhome for over 10 years now I think, and even though there are only 10 homes, the people here aren’t really friendly. I talk to my immediate neighbors, and wave at some who have been here a while as well. But I wish they were more neighborly sometimes. Maybe when I move it will be in a neighborhood with people who get together. Hope your daughter has a good trip!
We were sad when we moved from our old neighborhood (14 years ago). That neighborhood was new construction, so it was all young families like ours and we knew the neighbors well. Then we moved here (to an older neighborhood) and we felt sort of isolated. Our immediate neighbors were original homeowners, so their kids were already grown, and the park was pretty deserted during the day. It was a sad transition for me.
We don’t know our neighbours particularly well either, one is a teacher at my kids school so socialising is awkward, the other is a rental and the turnover is pretty high.
Costa Rica sounds like a awesome opportunity for your daughter.
Sorcery of Thorns is on my wishlist
Have a great reading week
I could see how it might be awkward to socialize with your kids’ teachers. LOL!
We’ve been here awhile as well and still only know a handful of neighbors (those closest to us) but it’s okay, sometimes that isn’t a bad thing. 😉
I hope your daughter has a blast and is safe!!
She’s on her way home today and had a FABULOUS time!
Costa Rica would be great to visit. The time will fly by with all your books to enjoy. Have a wonderful weekend.
Anne – Books of My Heart Here is my Sunday Post
Time has already flown by!! She comes home tonight!
We have the same situation in our neighborhood. We’ve been in our house for nearly 20 years and know the neighbors beside and behind us, but hardly anyone else in the neighborhood. I think we’re all socially awkward, lol.
I hope your daughter has a wonderful time in Costa Rica. I’ve heard it’s beautiful there.
Yeah, I’m just not good at being social with people I don’t already know. Which is, of course, a catch-22.