The Sunday Post is a weekly meme hosted by Kimba @ Caffeinated Book Reviewer ~ It’s a chance to share news~ A post to recap the past week on my blog and share news about what’s coming up in the week ahead.
This past week on FYFA (and in my life):
- School has started! The kids started e-learning this week. The process is actually going fine, though they did have to restructure things because they had some Zoom bombing going on one day (I think that some kids actually might have shared info purposely or something—they’re still investigating). The big issue is that my son has proven that I need to babysit him to make sure he’s actually doing what he’s supposed to be doing instead of watching random videos (bordering on inappropriate—we’ve blocked anything and everything actually inappropriate). This, even though he knows I have Securly set up so that I can literally see everything he searches for and he knows he loses his electronics for a week if he’s doing stuff he shouldn’t be doing. So, I’ve been trying to balance keeping him free from distractions (aka the dogs—mostly the puppy) and keeping an eye on him. I’m pretty aggravated that we’re only one week into school and I’m already dealing with this (though I should say it’s a constant struggle anyway during the school day—now I’m just right there to stop him).
- We watched:
- I finished watching season 1 of Indian Matchmaking. The season was weird, though— we only got resolution for three of the many people we met (two of whom decided not to get matched after all), and the others were just not mentioned. I guess we have to wait for next season, but it’s a very unsatisfying show to watch in that way.
- My daughter Danielle (and my son, Noah, who has joined us in watching) and I now completely caught up on season 7 of The 100!
- We painted and moved stuff. Last week, we did Danielle’s new room, and this week we’re onto Noah’s new room. This one won’t be quite as hard to paint because the trim and ceiling are normal (unlike last week’s room), but we did have to do a TON of patching because my daughter hung anything and everything on her walls (in the many years before we had good Command strips). I’ll share pics next week once we’re done.
- I read My Life in the Fish Tank—watch for my review coming next week!
- I’ve been listening to Graceling. I’ve heard about this series for years but never jumped in—I’m loving it! The audiobook is awesome because it has a full cast This is my first audiobook recorded that way, and I’m definitely a fan.
- Digit! Yep, he’s still a troublemaker. He definitely keeps me busy! But he’s still utterly adorable. And, at least this week, he seemed to be biting me less—the map of scratches and bruises on my arms has actually faded. Woo hoo! Here’s a pic I posted to Instagram this week showing off Digit’s new “skill” and a rare pic of all three dogs looking at the camera (it takes great skill with a treat to make this happen).
Here’s what you may have missed on the blog since my last Sunday Post:
I’ve still only been managing to get one post up (besides this one) per week. I’m hoping this will get better now that school has started—it’s frustrating!
Book Blogger Birthdays and Blogoversaries:
Here are the birthdays and blogoversaries for this week! I hope you’ll go wish these bloggers well on their special days! Make sure you check out the calendar to see what you might have just missed or what’s coming up. (If you want to be added to the calendar, it’s easy! Just fill out the birthday/blogoversary form.)
- None this week! (Weird!!!)
My friend Megan E. Freeman sent me a signed ARC of her debut, Alone. I’m so excited!! Remember, you still have one more day to enter to win a pre-order of the book for yourself!
Great Discussions/Goings On Around the Blogosphere:
- Another week of barely any blog surfing. Once we have these rooms painted, I should have a bit more time!
(Make sure you scroll to see them all!) Listed in order of release date. Any new deals I added to the list this week will be denoted with a *** so you can easily find them!
Please note: Almost all pre-order giveaways run “while supplies last,” so they might not be open until the date listed. Pre-0rder early for your best chance to get all the goodies!
- Pre-order COOK ANIME by Diana Ault to receive a bookmark, sticker, autographed bookplate (for physical copies), AND an entry into a giveaway for a BUNCH of fun anime and Japanese food-related merch from some of the author’s favorite artists. (INT)(ends 8/31)
- Pre-order AS THE SHADOW RISES by Katy Rose Pool to receive an enamel pin based on the series. (US/CAN)(ends 8/31)
- Pre-order BLOOD & HONEY by Shelby Mahurin to receive an art print (first 100), and a digital eBook of “goodies” (first chapter annotated; deleted content; character art; playlists; and a short excerpt from book 3). (INT)(ends 8/31)
- Pre-order ROAD OUT OF WINTER by Alison Stine OR request it from your local library to receive a signed bookmark and a custom, enamel skateboard pin. (ends 8/31)
- Pre-order HUNTED BY THE SKY by Tanaz Bhathena to receive a signed character postcard featuring Gul and Cavas and a bookmark. You’ll also be entered to win a grand prize! (US/CAN)(ends 8/31)
- Pre-order SHORT & SWEET by Josh Funk (illustrated by Brendan Kearney) from a participating indie bookstore to receive four collectors’ cards – AND an autographed bookplate! (ends 8/31)
- Pre-order THE JEALOUSY OF JALICE by Jesse Nolan Bailey to receive a 5×9 print of Flayer, a Bloodspill enamel pin, and TJOJ Bookmark. (INT)(ends 8/31)
- Pre-order SCRITCH SCRATCH by Lindsay Curry to receive access to the exclusive content section of the author’s website, which includes a “sleuth sheet” to help solve the mysteries, a downloadable poster, a crossword puzzle and more! You’ll also be entered to win other prizes. (INT)(ends 8/31)
- Pre-order THIS IS A SEAHORSE by Cassandra Federman from An Unlikely Story to receive a signed bookplate and beautiful seahorse painting. (ends 8/31)
- Pre-order MAJESTY by Katharine McGee to receive a juicy deleted scene from American Royals. (US only)(ends 8/31)
- Pre-order FABLE by Adrienne Young OR request it from your local library to receive an exclusive digital annotated chapter. You’ll also be entered to win a grand prize! (US only)(ends 8/31)
- Pre-order GREYTHORNE by Crystal Smith OR request it from your local library to receive an exclusive Aurelia cameo and 4 holographic character cards. (INT)(ends 8/31)
- Pre-order WAYWARD WITCH by Zoraida Córdova to receive one holographic sticker and one bookplate. (INT)(ends 9/1)
- Pre-order DARIUS THE GREAT DESERVES BETTER by Adib Khorram OR request it from your local library to receive two signed character art cards. (INT)(ends 9/1)
- Pre-order WE ARE NOT FREE by Traci Chee OR request it from your local library to receive a poster, a signed bookmark, and a signed bookplate. Orders from Books, Inc will receive a whole set of six collectible bookmarks (instead of just one). (INT)(ends 9/1)
- Pre-order THE CIRCUS OF STOLEN DREAMS by Lorelei Savaryn OR request it from your local library to receive access to an Exclusive Content page on the author’s website where you can redeem a signed “Ticket to Reverie” bookplate and signed, exclusive downloadable art, and the opportunity to submit a question for a video Author Q+A. (INT)(ends 9/1)
- Pre-order RECOMMENDED FOR YOU by Laura Silverman to receive a tote bag (US only), a pin, and a bookmark. (INT)(ends 9/1)
- Pre-order ALL EYES ON HER by L.E. Flynn OR request it from your local library to receive a signed bookmark, a sticker sheet with designs and quotes from the book, and exclusive deleted scenes. (INT)(ends 9/1)
- Pre-order THE BLACKSTONE RITUAL by Swearingen Durham to receive an enamel pin. (US, but there will be a giveaway for two INT pre-orders)(ends 9/1)
- Pre-order NOW THAT I’VE FOUND YOU by Kristina Forest OR request it from your local library to receive a custom Evie and Milo diner scene print, a custom made map of New York City featuring book-specific locations, and a bookmark. (US only)(ends 9/1)
- Pre-order THE HUNGRY GHOST by H.S. Norup from Closetful of Books to receive a signed, personalized bookplate. (Singapore)(ends 9/1)
- Pre-order CEMETERY BOYS by Aiden Thomas to receive 5 Character Cards featuring Yadriel, Julian, Maritza and Lady Death, and a signed bookplate. 50 random US preorders will also receive a limited edition pin! (INT)(ends 9/1)
- ***Pre-order WHEN VILLAINS RISE by Rebecca Schaeffer to receive a Guide to Unnaturals exclusive content from the author and digital Character Cards from the Not Even Bones webtoon. (US only)(ends 9/7)
- Pre-order LITTLE FOX AND THE WILD IMAGINATION by author Jorma Taccone and illustrator Dan Santat to receive a signed art print. (US/CAN)(ends 9/7)
- Pre-order NIGHT SHINE by Tessa Gratton to receive four stickers by Yoshi Yoshitani. (US only)(ends 9/7)
- Pre-order THE OTHER SIDE OF THE SKY by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner to receive a limited edition bookplate signed by both authors, two gorgeous character cards, an entry in the draw to win a virtual dinner with Amie and Meg — a $50 voucher to order in, and an hour on a video call to talk about books, writing, or anything you like! You can invite a friend if you like. (INTL for some items – click to see details)(ends 9/7)
- Pre-order DRAGON SLAYERS by Lisa McMann to receive a signed poster. (US/CAN)(ends 9/7)
- Pre-order COFFEE DAYS WHISKEY NIGHTS by Cyrus Parker to receive two stickers, along with a thank you note from Cyrus! (INT)(ends 9/12)
- ***Pre-order SKUNK AND BADGER by Amy Timberlake, illustrated by Jon Klassen to receive a magnet sheet, an 8″ x 10″ frameable art print, and a bookplate signed by both Amy and Jon. (ends 9/14)
- Pre-order LEGENDBORN by Tracy Deonn to receive a limited-edition double-sided 11×17 poster. (ends 9/14)
- Pre-order K-POP CONFIDENTIAL by Stephan Lee to receive an exclusive K-Pop Confidential face mask! (US only)(ends 9/14)
- Pre-order GROWN by Tiffany D. Jackson to receive an exclusive set of earrings! (US only)(ends 9/14)
- Pre-order EVEN IF WE BREAK by Marieke Nijkamp to receive FIVE gifts–one revealed each week! (US/CAN)(ends 9/14)
- Pre-order PIRANESI by Susanna Clarke to receive a tote bag and bookmark. (USA, Canada, UK, ROI, India, AUS and NZ)(ends 9/14)
- Pre-order SURRENDER YOUR SONS by Adam Sass to receive a 4×6 postcard featuring a character adventure poster and a list of 10 clues to guide you as you unravel the dark mysteries within Nightlight, a digital collection of the entire prequel novella, THE SEARCH FOR DREW SCHREIBER, and a custom signed bookplate. Plus, you’ll have a chance to win more. (INT)(ends 9/14)
- Pre-order THE PARIS SECRET by Natasha Lester from Book People to receive an exclusive postcard! In addition, each pre-order will be automatically entered to win 1 of 5* $50 BookPeople gift cards! (ends 9/14)
- Pre-order EACH OF US A DESERT by Mark Oshiro to receive a limited edition art print! (US/CAN)(ends 9/14)
- Pre-order THE HUNTER AND THE MAGE by Kaitlyn Davis to receive two exclusive character cards! (INT – digital, US – physical)(ends 9/20)
- Pre-order VAMPIRES NEVER GET OLD by various authors to receive three exclusive tarot cards, plus the chance to win a full deck. (US only)(ends 9/21)
- Pre-order MAYA AND THE RISING DARK by Rena Barron to receive a sticker sheet, an Upside Down Chicago bookplate, and a Maya bookmark. (US only)(ends 9/21)
- Pre-order A CURSE OF GOLD by Annie Sullivan to receive a signed bookplate, 2 character cards, and a book cover magnet. (US/CAN)(ends 9/21)
- Pre-order YOU’LL FIND ME by Amanda Rawson Hill to receive digital resources to help you stay connected with your loved ones. You’ll also receive the supplies to make “You’ll Find Me” braided bracelets with a small charm. Plus $1 will be donated to the International Rescue Committee! (ends 9/21)
- Pre-order FAR FROM NORMAL by Becky Wallace to receive 3 character stickers, a postcard, a bookmark, and a personalized signed bookmark. (US only)(ends 9/22)
- ***Pre-order DUNGEON CRITTERS by Natalie Riess and Sara Goetter to receive a downloadable phone background! (US/CAN)(ends 9/28)
- Pre-order SKYHUNTER by Marie Lu to receive a metal bookmark! (US only)(ends 9/28)
- Pre-order CRUSH by Tracy Wolff (hardcover only) to receive a notepad, stickers, bookmark, bracelet and mystery swag gift! (ends 9/28)
- Pre-order BECOMING A GOOD CREATURE by Sy Montgomery OR request it from your local library to be entered to win a signed hardcover copy of the book, an Art Print, a bookplate (personalized and signed by Sy Montgomery and Rebecca Green), and a sketch print from Rebecca Green. (25 winners). (US only)(ends 9/28)
- Pre-order CROWNCHASERS by Rebecca Coffindaffer to receive character cards. (ends 9/28)
- Pre-order A NATURAL HISTORY OF FAIRIES by Emily Hawkins to receive download access to 3 random trading cards. (US/UK)(ends 9/22 UK, 9/28 US)
- Pre-order A NEON DARKNESS by Lauren Shippen to receive a limited edition art print! (US/CAN)(ends 9/28)
- Pre-order PEPPER’S RULES FOR SECRET SLEUTHING by Briana McDonald to receive a bookmark, signed bookplate, and character stickers. (US only)(ends 9/29)
- ***Pre-order CLOSER TO NOWHERE by Ellen Hopkins to receive a signed bookplate and bookmark. (ends 10/5)
- ***Pre-order WOLFPACK: YA EDITION by Abby Wambach to receive a designed poster. (US/CAN)(ends 10/5)
- ***Pre-order THE LIVES OF SAINTS by Leigh Bardugo to receive an exclusive and limited edition Second Army inspired notebook. (UK/Ireland only)(ends 10/5)
- ***Pre-order SHADOW AND BONE: THE COLLECTOR’S EDITION by Leigh Bardugo to receive an exclusive Grishaverse-inspired laptop sticker. (UK/Ireland only)(ends 10/5)
- ***Pre-order WE WERE RESTLESS THINGS by Cole Nagamatsu from Magers & Quinn or Moon Palace Books to receive an exclusive set of character bookmarks. (ends 10/5)
- Pre-order THE INVISIBLE LIFE OF ADDIE LARUE by V.E. Schwab from One More Page Books to receive a signed custom bookplate (first 100 will be personalized, first 200 will be customized, and the rest will be Tor bookplates). (ends 10/5)
- Pre-order FINDING YOUR HARMONY by Ally Brooke to receive a special thank you video from the author. Purchase two books and you’ll also receive an exclusive Ally Brooke journal entry. (US only)(ends 10/5)
- Pre-order A ROYAL CHRISTMAS QUANDARY by Samantha Hastings to receive a signed bookmark, a crown necklace with an organza bag, peppermint tea, and The Last Word short story, “The Last Christmas Carol.” (INT)(ends 10/5)
- Pre-order GIRL ON THE RUN by Abigail Johnson from Changing Hands Bookstore to receive a signed & personalized copy, a deluxe tassel bookmark, and an exclusive sticker. Plus, pick-up orders will receive a *BONUS* custom lip balm. (ends 10/5)
- ***Pre-order LIGHTBRINGER by Claire LeGrand to receive three art prints and a digital copy of Queen of the Blazing Throne – an Empirium novella. (US/CAN)(ends 10/12)
- Pre-order RURAL VOICES by various authors for a chance to win a grand prize including 10 books! Pre-orders from Malaprop’s Books will also a bookmark, postcard, “story behind the story” essay, and stickers. (ends 10/12)
- Pre-order ATTACK SURFACE by Cory Doctorow to receive a free digital and audio copy of a brand new digital short. (US/CAN)(ends 10/12)
- Pre-order THE WORLD OF CRITICAL ROLE by Liz Marsham to receive a set of digital desktop and mobile wallpapers.Plus, a bundle of coupons and special offers from Hero Forge, Wyrmwood, Die Hard Dice, Roll20, and Beadle & Grimm’s. (US only)(ends 10/19)
- ***Pre-order THE LIVES OF SAINTS by Leigh Bardugo to receive an exclusive laptop sticker. (US only)(ends 10/27)
- ***Pre-order SHADOW AND BONE: THE COLLECTOR’S EDITION by Leigh Bardugo to receive an exclusive patch. (US only)(ends 10/27)
- ***Pre-order BOTH and also receive a deluxe tin pencil case with branded pencils!
- Pre-order WARMAIDENS by Kelly Coon OR request it from your local library to receive a Maiden’s Tonic mocktail card and a WARMAIDENS bookmark. Pre-orders will also receive a scorpion laptop sticker, a signed bookplate, and a 5 x 7 quote print of your choice. (You’ll choose when uploading your proof of purchase.) (INT)(ends 10/27)
- Pre-order KINGDOM OF THE WICKED by Kerri Maniscalco to receive an enamel pin, a signed bookplate, and a pair of oracle cards. (INT with limitations)(ends 10/26)
- ***Pre-order INSTANT KARMA by Marissa Meyer to receive a limited edition enamel pin! (US/CAN)(ends 11/2)
- ***Pre-order ANYA AND THE NIGHTINGALE by Sofiya Pasternack from The King’s English to receive a signed copy, plus a bookmark & sticker! (ends 11/9)
- ***Pre-order SOULSWIFT by Megan Bannen from Raven Bookstore to receive a signed book, along with a bookmark and sticker. You’ll also be entered to win a grand prize! (ends 11/16)
- Pre-order RUINSONG by Julia Ember to receive a character art print, postcard and enamel pin. (US/CAN/UK)(ends 11/23)
- ***Pre-order BLOOD AND HONOR by Miranda Lyn to receive a signed bookmark! (US only)(ends 1/3)
- Pre-order THE GILDED ONES by Namina Forna to receive a gorgeous foiled & embossed limited edition print, plus a signed bookplate (first 250 preorders). (INT—excluding US, Philippines & CA)(ends 2/3)
- Pre-order HOLES IN THE VEIL by Beth Overmeyer to receive a button pin, a signed bookplate, three charms: 1 horse, 1 dagger, & 1 goblet. (US only)(ends 2/15)
- Pre-order WE ARE THE FIRE by Sam Taylor from River Bend Bookshop to receive a signed & personalized copy of the book, as well as a 5 x 7 inch character art print, a 5 x 7 inch full-color map of the Vesimaan Empire, and a bookmark. (ends 2/15)
- Pre-order FRAGILE REMEDY by Maria Ingrande Mora OR request it from your local library OR create and share fanart to receive 3 character bookmarks featuring Alden, Reed, and Nate, and a holographic Queen of the Tinkers die-cut sticker. US pre-orders will also be entered for additional giveaways. (INT)(ends 3/10)
(Make sure you scroll to see them all!)
- Twitter Giveaways:
- @JONNYescribe is giving away Fifteen Hundred Miles from the Sun (ends 9/7)
- @elisekova is giving away an Air Awakens Ultimate Swag + Book Box (ends 9/1)
- On my blog, you can enter the giveaway for the August 2020 Discussion Challenge Link-Up & Giveaway and the July or August 2020 Monthly Wrap-Up Round-Up & Giveaway. You can also enter to win a pre-order of ALONE by Megan E. Freeman.
- Head over to The World Was Hers for the Reading for a chance to win RECOMMENDED FOR YOU BY LAURA SILVERMAN
- Head over to The Book Bag for a chance to win The Light Between Oceans
- Head over to BookCrushin’ for a chance to win a new release they’ve featured this month and the Once Upon a Con Series Giveaway
- Head over to Afire Pages for a chance to win Punching the Air
- Head over to Pop! Goes the Reader for a chance to win a signed copy of Gimme Everything You Got
- Lisa @ Lisa Loves Literature is celebrating her blogoversary with a big giveaway!!
- Kim @ Caffeinated Reviewer is celebrating her blogoversary by giving away your choice of book, ebook or Audible credit
- Head over to Dream Within a Dream to enter to win HOW TO LIVE LIFE ON THE EDGE
- Head over to BookHounds YA for a chance to win THE INHERITANCE GAMES, CHASING STARLIGHT, and more (check the site’s sidebar!)
- Lots of blogs participating in the August 2020 Of Books Giveaway Hop!
- Book Riot has lots of giveaways, including A Year of Kindle Unlimited!
- Read It Forward does a weekly giveaway. This week you can enter to win Eat a Peach by David Chang!
Lots of good stuff! Have any giveaways or great discussions happening on your site right now? Feel free to share them in the comments!
That’s too bad about your son. I still think this year is going to be a gap year for some. I’m thankful my daughter is so responsible about her college classes. That’s fun about the room redo – I always look forward to home improvement photos. Congrats on the dog photo. I’m also still glad Lulu was all trained and well behaved We did take her to classes also. She has some idiosyncrasies but we have some too, so we have worked through them.
Anne – Books of my Heart Here is my Sunday Post
Digit is definitely a handful, but he’s worth it. I do think training will help, though!
I can only imagine how challenging educating your children is right now. I know you homeschooled, but did a co-op right? At least you’re pretty experienced, but this all digit thing must be tough. I know it was had to keep the kids on task when we did computer based activities even in school. I would also find them watching videos. Kids. I liked the Graceling series, thought I felt book 3 was not the strongest ending, but now book 4 is coming, so maybe it will be a better closing book.
Yes, I definitely have a leg up when it comes to elearning—it’s not all that crazy of an idea to me. It’s just frustrating to have to monitor him, when I don’t feel like I should need to do that. this week was better, though, so hopefully that will continue.
School is definitely a challenge at the moment. I think it’s tough because it’s such a big change for everyone involved but hopefully as times goes on you won’t have to mentor your son constantly as he adapts. And glad to see you’re reading/listening to Graceling, I didn’t know the audio had a full cast it would definitely add something to experience it that way.
This week was a bit better—hopefully it stays that way!
I’m glad that e-learning is going mostly well, though sorry you have to be on top of your son so much!! Digit is just adorable, as always. I LOVE that picture of all three dogs. They are just adorable.
It was quite a feat to get the pic of all three of them. Bella and Digit are easy to photograph—Snickers, not so much.
Oh Nicole, I am so sorry that things are not going great with your son’s schooling. I don’t even know what to say, because you are clearly WAY more on top of things than I am (I’m over here like, huh, maybe I should start that monitoring stuff…) I just really hope that it gets better as he gets re-acclimated and such.
Mine have their first day tomorrow… though no one knows what time (I have received school notifications saying 8:15, 8:45, and 9- non-virtual started at 9 so idk), and no one knows if they’ll be doing live classes or just do work on your own like last year so… it’s going great already, is what I am saying. Sammy’s teachers haven’t even added him to the Google classroom yet!
Also YAY for you guys being caught up on The 100! We have so much to discuss!!!
Digit on the table!! What a funny boy. 🙂
Oh, yes—he was quite fond of that new skill. Chairs must be pushed in at all times.
Best of luck with the distance learning! I hope that once your son tests his boundaries a bit, he can settle down into Zoom school.
It’s already been better, so I’m hopeful.
Life is so challenging now. Double if you have kids. Good luck with all of it.
My puppies are almost impossible to photograph right now. lol
Karen @ For What It’s Worth
You know how impossible it is to get three dogs to look at a camera at the same time while sitting. Impossible!
We’ve been doing patching on our walls too, they have pin holes all over them, I need to get a hold of some of these strips.
Your dogs are adorable!
Good luck with the school, it can be difficult, my pair I had to limit their phones during the day when they were distance learning to stop them going on Roblox.
Have a lovely week.
Command strips are truly amazing. My daughter LOVES hanging things on her walls, and those have saved us!
And, yeah, I have to monitor my son to make sure he’s doing what he’s supposed to be doing on the computer instead of doing other random things. It’s pretty frustrating, but hopefully he’s learned his lesson since he lost his electronics privileges for a week!
I used to have 3 dogs, and I have exactly 1 picture of them all looking at the camera. It does take skill! I hope your son adapts to school quickly. I feel bad for all the parents, teachers, and kids right now. This situation sucks.
Ah, yes, then you understand what a truly momentous occasion it was. 🙂
Yep, he’s still a troublemaker. He definitely keeps me busy! But he’s still utterly adorable.