The Sunday Post is a weekly meme hosted by Kimba @ Caffeinated Book Reviewer ~ It’s a chance to share news ~ A post to recap the past week on my blog and share news about what’s coming up in the week ahead.
This past week on FYFA (and in my life):
- Blogging. So, I did a really weird and somewhat insane thing this week. Some of you know that I use a plugin that shows me comments I’ve not yet replied to. Well, in the past year, I basically gave up on replying and just focused on commenting back as much as I could. But, I really wanted to get back to doing both. Only problem is, there doesn’t seem to be any way to reset the plugin. I tried turning it off and back on, but it still said that I had over 1600 comments that hadn’t been replied to. (Yes, you read that right. 1600. That is insanity, right there.) So, I ended up turning off my comment reply notifications and replying to each and every one of those 1600 comments with a ` and then deleting that reply. This made the plugin take it off the list of un-replied comments. In the process, I also commented on a bunch of blogs I haven’t been to recently. So, now I’m down to only 30 or so recent comments that I actually plan to reply to, and I’m starting fresh! Was it worth the time I put into it? I have no idea, but my replying status was like a strange weight around my blogging neck that I couldn’t quite shake and I definitely feel better with this fresh start. I kept up with comments for years, so I should be able to do it again. (I think.)
- Sick kiddo. My daughter Danielle was sick this week, so she was home most of the week. Had to get a COVID test for her to go back to school. She went back on Thursday but then woke up with pink eye on Friday! Ugh! Ended up having to miss her senior night swim meet, which was disappointing, but it’s much better that it happened now than next week for their Conference meet (or the following week for Sectionals, which she is most likely going to this year for the first time).
- Writing. I got super helpful feedback from one of the people I sent the latest draft of my WIP to and started thinking about how I can incorporate it. I am incredibly thankful to this person for reading the book and giving me her thoughts!!! I think I’m close to being able to send the book off to my agent – my goal is to do that by the end of the year at the latest!
- What I Read:
- I finished reading Violets Are Blue by Barbara Dee and also read Tristan Strong Keeps Punching by Kwame Mbalia.
- I finished listening to Tristan Strong Destroys the World by Kwame Mbalia and started listening to The Only Plane in the Sky: An Oral History of September 11, 2001 by Garrett M. Graff.
- What I Watched:
- Danielle, my mom, and I watched season 2 of Never Have I Ever. We really like this show, but wow, Devi is often kind of a terrible person. Hats off to the showrunners who still make me root for her, even with all her flaws. If you watch this show, are you Team Paxton or Team Ben? (I think I actually lean Team Paxton, but my daughter is firmly Team Ben. My mom leans Ben but waffles.)
- I’ve also continued watching The Amazing Race. I’ve made my way backwards to season 6 and it’s kind of funny to see how much lamer those first seasons were than later seasons. I’m pretty sure I watched the show back then and loved it, but it’s hard to watch them after seeing more recent ones.
Here’s what you may have missed on the blog since my last Sunday Post:
Book Blogger Birthdays and Blogoversaries:
Here are the birthdays and blogoversaries for this week! I hope you’ll go wish these bloggers well on their special days! Make sure you check out the calendar to see what you might have just missed or what’s coming up. (If you want to be added to the calendar, it’s easy! Just fill out the birthday/blogoversary form.
- 10/30 – Upside-Down Books‘ Blogoversary
I signed up for the blog tour for The Lost Language, a new verse novel by Claudia Mills. The lovely cover art for this book was done by Kathrin Honesta. Thanks to Rockstar Book Tours and Holiday House for the review copy!
Those of you who read my Personal Library Book Tag saw that I was inspired to hunt down a childhood favorite book, The Ghost Next Door by Wylly Folk St. John. I bought it from a store on Etsy called Smile It’s Vintage, and I was really impressed with the condition and the way they packaged it. They put cardboard behind the book to make sure it didn’t get bent in shipping, which I really appreciated.
Then, I also got my signed/personalized pre-order of The Troubled Girls of Dragomir Academy by Anne Ursu. Very excited about this one! And I forgot to mention that I got my pre-order of Once Upon a Broken Heart by Stephanie Garber a few weeks ago. I’m a little bit nervous that I haven’t received my pre-order incentive for this one. It’s an alternate cover jacket, and I was really excited for it.
Great Discussions/Goings On Around the Blogosphere:
- Laura @ Daydreaming Dragons gives us 6 Ways To Be A NaNoWriMo Rebel
NEW Pre-order Campaigns
Head over to my new Pre-Order Campaigns Page to see ALL of the pre-order deals, including pictures!!
Here’s the list of all the pre-order campaigns that I just added to the list this week:
Pre-order A HISTORY OF WILD PLACES by Shea Ernshaw to receive a signed bookplate, bookmark, letter from the author, & a sticker sheet! (US only) (Ends 12/6) CLICK FOR DETAILS
(Make sure you scroll to see them all!)
- On my blog, you can enter the giveaway for the October 2021 Discussion Challenge Link-Up & Giveaway and the September Monthly Wrap-Up Round-Up & Giveaway. You can also enter to win a copy of Frankie & Bug and a copy of Tristan Strong Keeps Punching.
- Lots of blogs participating in the CHEEKY PUMPKINS GIVEAWAY HOP!
- Head over to bibliosini for a chance to win Jadie in Five Dimensions
- Enter to win a very scary stack of wicked reads!
- Enter to win an ARC of ROXY
- Head over to Good Choice Reading for a chance to win a signed copy of Violets Are Blue by Barbara Dee (and check out the list of tour stops for more chances to win the book as well!)
- Head over to From the Mixed-Up Files for a chance to win books, author Skype visits, gift cards and more in the STEM Tuesday – 4th Anniversary Giveaway
- Enter to win a Sci-Fi/Fantasy prize pack
- Enter to win a collection of Simon Teen’s new fall books
- Shannon @ It Starts at Midnight is celebrating her 8th blogoversary with a giveaway!
- Head over to The Children’s Book Review’s Giveaway Page to win The Quest for the Luminae and more!
- Head over to KidLit411 for a chance to win Out of the Box, Gwendolyn’s Pet Garden, and The Hiddenseek!
- Head over to Lisa Loves Literature for a chance to win 3 books from Lisa’s ARC pile.
- Head over to Literary Ramblings to enter to win Pighearted and a Melissa Nasson Query Critique
- Head over to JeanBookNerd for a chance to win The Charm Offensive and more!
- Head over to Bookhounds YA for a chance to win 6 Explorer Academy hardcovers, THE ME I CHOOSE TO BE, THE BEAR HOUSE, and more! (Check the sidebar)
- Lots of blogs participating in the October 2021 Of Books Giveaway Hop!
- Book Riot has lots of giveaways, including A Year of Free Books!
Lots of good stuff! Have any giveaways or great discussions happening on your site right now? Feel free to share them in the comments!