My Goings On in May:
- I am officially done teaching. Even though my oldest is still technically being homeschooled, she’s taking all her classes at the local community college now, and I’m not really teaching her anything anymore. My middle child is headed to public high school next year, so I won’t be teaching her classes at the co-op next fall. And my youngest has always been in the special education program at our public school because I just don’t have the know-how or the resources to teach him. So, that means I’m done. Forever. (Well, probably—I mean, you never know.) It’s really sort of bittersweet.
- I watched The Rain and Fear the Walking Dead while doing the elliptical. I ended up writing a whole post about subtitles vs. dubbing for The Rain. I’m loving the series and only have one episode to go. I was happy to see they just renewed it for a second season.
- We watched Downsizing, which started out good but sort of disappointed a bit in the end.
- We celebrated Mother’s Day and Danielle’s 14th birthday with family. My in-laws came back from the half year they spend in Arizona, so it was good to see them again.
Features & Discussions:
May 2018 Discussion Challenge & Giveaway – Link up any last May discussion posts here and enter to win!
April 2018 Wrap-Up & Best of the Bunch
My Newly Organized Bookcases! Let’s Discuss.
March/April Wrap-Up Round-Up “Make Me Read It” Giveaway
My First Time Switching Between an Audiobook and a Print Book. Let’s Discuss!
The Rain on Netflix: Danish or English? (Subbed or Dubbed?) Let’s Discuss.
Fun with SPAM! #4
May 2018 Monthly Wrap-Up Round-Up Link-Up – Link up your May wrap-up posts here!
My 2018 Reading Progress:
I’m 15 books ahead of my Goodreads Reading goal! (Of course, I halved it this year.)
May 2018 Reviews
I got a lot more reviews up this month than the last couple!
- The Miscalculations of Lightning Girl by Stacy McAnulty | Review | Rating: 4.5/5
- Hiding Lies by Julie Cross | Review | Rating: 3.5/5
- A Quiet Kind of Thunder by Sara Barnard | Review | Rating: 5/5
- Alex, Approximately by Jenn Bennett | Review | Rating: 4/5
- The Lost Path by Amélie Fléchais | Review | Rating: 4/5
- Bubble by Anders de la Motte | Review | Rating: 3.5/5
- The Way You Make Me Feel by Maurene Goo | Review | Rating: 4/5
- The Girl and the Grove by Eric Smith | Review | Rating: 4/5
- Refugee by Alan Gratz | Review | Rating: 4.5/5**
- Now a Major Motion Picture by Cori McCarthy | Review | Rating: 3.5/5
- Captain Superlative by J.S. Puller | Review | Rating: 3.5/5
- Smile by Raina Telgemeier | Review | Rating: 4/5
**A dual review with AJ @ Read All the Things
May Best of the Bunch:
(Best of the Bunch is hosted over at Cocoon of Books. We link up our favorite reads of the month!)
A Quiet Kind of Thunder won a 5-star rating this month. I so loved the Deaf rep in this book! But I also want to give an honorable mention to Refugee because it’s the type of book that everyone should read.
2018 Reading Challenges/Goals Progress:
If you didn’t see my update a couple of months ago, I decided to stop doing most of my challenges. Priorities.
Status: 11/31-40 Discussions Posted
I actually wrote a few discussions this month! That’s cause for celebration for me lately!
My Newly Organized Bookcases!
My First Time Switching Between an Audiobook and a Print Book.
The Rain on Netflix: Danish or English? (Subbed or Dubbed?)
Why Is Voice in Writing So Hard? And Do You Think About It When You Read?
Expectations About POC Names in Books.
Great Reasons to Get to Know Your Bookish Friends Better
Top 10 of 2017: Books I’m Looking Forward to in 2018
2017 End of Year Book Survey
My Writing & Reading Goals for 2018
My Book Outlet Weakness (& Why My Latest Haul Is All Your Fault)
Which Types of Reviews Are Most Effective? Let’s Discuss!
Our team actually won last month, but wouldn’t you know it, Austine sent out an email that she has to stop running the contests and giveaways for this challenge. I get that life can sometimes be overwhelming, so I definitely feel for her! Since I was really only sticking to this challenge so I didn’t let my teammates down (and that’s no longer a concern), I decided to throw in the towel on this one.
HOST/SIGN-UP LINK – Novel Knight
My 2018 Goals Progress:
Complete a second edit of my MG novel. Done! Attend a writing workshop. I signed up for one in June!
- Read more writing craft books/materials. Yikes! Okay, guys, I need to get serious about this. I’ve done it a little, but not nearly enough.
- Finish the first draft of YA novel. I still haven’t moved back to my YA book, since I’ve been focusing on working with my CPs on the MG.
- Read one review book for every one that I request/receive. ) I got 9 review books this month (mostly due to a little NetGalley/Edelweiss binge that I indulged in), but amazingly, I posted reviews for 13! (So far for the year, I’ve received 38 and read 43, so I’m definitely ahead!)
- Read more middle grade. SIX of my reviews this month were MG!! (I’ve reviewed 11 MGs so far this year.)
- Work out! Still doing okay with this. I could do better, but it’s a whole lot better than I was doing during the school year.
Don’t forget to link your May wrap-up posts up to the Monthly Wrap-Up Round-Up! And check out the giveaway, which will be posted here on Feed Your Fiction Addiction right around the 7th!