Last week on FYFA:
I was saving up all my 5 star reviews for this week apparently (I didn’t mean to – it just happened that way!). There were three of them! It’s kind of fun to look at the books I’ve rated really highly because these three books are all completely different – different genres, different styles, different feels – and I loved them all in completely different ways (yes, I just used the word “different” a lot – call me lazy). One is a YA contemporary that made me cry. Another is an adult contemporary with characters that made me absolutely insane, but I loved them anyway (this is probably my most incoherent review ever, but the book wrecked me in so many ways!). The last one is the latest in a series of adult fairy tale retellings that I’ve really loved! It’s interesting to look at the books I’ve loved and compare and contrast. I really think I need to make a 5+ stars category so that I can put the 5 star books that have continued to completely stick with me months later in their own category. Hmmm … yes, I think I will.
Here’s what you may have missed last week:
- Dare You To by Katie McGarry (5 star review)
- Top Ten Authors I Need to Read More
- Rock Angel by Jeanne Bogino (5 star review)
- Finding Mr. Darcy: High School Edition by Erin Butler (review & giveaway) – Still time to enter to win a $10 gift card and a copy of the book!
- Divine Scales by Jennifer Blackstream (5 star review & giveaway) – Still time to enter to win a book from this series!
- Let’s Discuss – Authors that Complain
Next week on FYFA:
- Take Me On by Katie McGarry (blitz & giveaway)
- Crash Into You by Katie McGarry (review)
- Evil Librarian by Michelle Knudsen (review)
- I Want it That Way by Ann Aguirre (review)
- Let’s Discuss – YA Stereotypes: Love from Afar. Does this Happen in Real Life?
I bought these two books at the Rick Yancey signing in Naperville. Yancey was an entertaining speaker, and I loved hearing all about his thoughts on the movie (it follows the book about 80% and he’s very happy with the script and was able to give some notes), movie casting (he didn’t picture Cassie looking like Chloë Grace Moretz, but thinks she felt like Cassie when he saw her read – she’s actually totally how I pictured Cassie, so it’s perfect to me!), movie props (they’re making a special teddy bear for the movie so that they can market it and sell it in stores – and the scene he was most excited about seeing on film is when Cassie was hiding under the car, but it’s not a Buick in the movie for some reason), why he used multiple POVs in his books (for plot purposes, but also because it builds tension when the reader knows things the main character doesn’t), where he got the idea for the book (when he asked his wife what she feared most, she said aliens – he said his would have been something like cancer or losing his kids – aliens wouldn’t have even been in his top 50!), and much, much more! If you ever have a chance to see Yancey in person, I suggest you take it. He’s awesome!
Great Discussions/Goings On Around the Blogosphere:
- What do I ask an author in an interview? over at Bookaholics Anonymous
- Could YOU be the next big YAWriter? over at Book Briefs – Find out about Hipso Publishing’s big YA event
- Holly tells us How Libraries Boost Book Sales over at The Book Nympho
- Vicky shares 100+ Resources for Book Bloggers over at Books, Biscuits, and Tea
Other Current Giveaways on FYFA:
(Besides the ones listed above)
- The Undead: Playing for Keeps by Elsie Elmore – Still time to enter to win!
- True North Book 3: Finding Now by Allie Juliette Mousseau – Still time to enter to win a copy of the book!
- Perfect for You by Ashelyn Drake – Still time to enter to win a $10 gift card and a copy of the book!
Even More Awesome Giveaways on Other Sites:
- Shayna Varadeaux Books & Reviews – Shayna’s got a whole month of giveaways going for her first blogoversary! This is a link to the first one, but make sure to check out all the others too!
- Kindle Giveaway – Enter over at I Am a Reader Not a Writer to win a Kindle or a gift card!
- Rabid Reads is having a 4th blogoversary giveaway that lasts the whole month long!
- Fairy Tale Magic Blog Hop – Last chance to enter this hop! Lots of blogs participating – looks like these are mostly 18+ fairy tale retellings.
- September New Release Giveaway Hop – Again, lots of participants!
- Falling for Books Blog Hop – Lots more chances to win a fall new release!
- Stuck in a Good Book Giveaway Hop – Wow, lots of hops this week!
Lots of good stuff! Have any giveaways or great discussions happening on your site right now?
Feel free to share them in the comments!